In partnership with the PACT program of the Redlands Police Department, Redlands UCC is building a coalition of churches and civic organizations willing to assist individuals on parole who seek to reintegrate back into our community as productive citizens. This program is called Step by Step.
The reentry process for those on parole can be daunting as most individuals face joblessness, homelessness, lack of reliable transportation and affordable housing along with inadequate literacy skills to work in a whole new world of technology. Without our support they face a recidivism rate up to 80%.
During this past year, Step by Step has provided:
- hygiene kits of basic toiletry items
- bus passes
- refurbished bicycles, locks and helmets
- holiday gifts and food to parolees and their families
Another aspect of Step by Step which we are sponsoring is Get on the Bus. This program brings children to visit their mothers in prison on the Friday before Mother's day. This year the date is May 9th. For many of these kids this will be the only time they see their mother. More than half of the women in state prisons never see their children during their incarceration.
Get on the Bus provides free transportation for each child and their guardian/caregiver along with a free lunch, snacks and teddy bear to make the day an unforgettable encounter. This year 32 bus loads of kids will travel all over the state of California. We at Redlands UCC are sponsoring the bus to Norco, CA.
You can help make all this possible! Needs include:
- Partner churches and organizations willing to collaborate and participate in a city-wide coalition.
- Felon-friendly employers willing to offer jobs; willing to give a chance to someone who has paid their debt to society.
- Collection and assembling of hygiene kits.
- Sponsors for the Get on the Bus program to help the children's families complete all the necessary paperwork.
- Donations of food, activity supplies, and teddy bears for the Get on the Bus trip.
We would be happy to make a presentation to your group about Step by Step outreach.
If you are interested in participating or wish further information please contact: